Thursday, June 12, 2014

World Cup 2014: Players to Watch Closely....Veeery Closely!

It is finally here!! Four years ago South Africa was abuzz with vuvuzelas, flags and amazing unity…..and now it is Brazil’s turn! Strangely enough however, I have not had much World Cup fever as I usually do – maybe it is because I wish it was in South Africa again, maybe because I wish South Africa was playing….oh I don’t know, but hey….IT IS HERE!!!!

Now this here is my quick guide to the FIFA World Cup 2014. This is aimed at helping ladies with little knowledge or interest in football.

There are 8 groups, each comprising of 4 teams, with the top two of each group moving on to the next round. I have picked some players to watch closely in each group.


GROUP A:

This group comprises of the hosts Brazil, Croatia, Mexico and Cameroon! My pick of the group is the young Brazilian star, Neymar Jnr.
 


Group B:

The defending champions Spain are in this group, along with the Netherlands, Chile, and Australia. I present to you, Sergio Ramos.

 
Group C:

Our African representatives are Cote d’Ivoire, who will be pitted against Colombia, Greece, and Japan. I like Greece because of their long names (I mean, what is there not to love about the name Sokratis Papastathopoulos?) but in the looks department, I will have to go with my African brother, Salomon Kalou. Ladies, hold on to your knickers..... 



Group D:

When I think of Uruguay, my mind always rushes back to that day four years ago when one Luis Suarez robbed Ghana (and the rest of Africa) of our last hope of world cup joy. I won’t get into that…I still bear a grudge. Anyway, also in the group are Costa Rica, England and Italy. Keep your eye out for Jack Wilshere. Why? Abs and tattoos!!

 Group E:

Switzerland, Ecuador, France and Honduras. Okay, let me just cut to the chase….please meet my French everything, Olivier Giroud.  And as they say, if it’s nice, post it twice! ;) 






Or thrice...

 
Group F:

All eyes will be on Argentina to make waves. What with goal-poachers like Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero, the expectation is high. In their way however, stand the African champions Nigeria, as well as Iran and Bosnia-Herzegovina. (can’t we just call them Bosnia? I can’t deal with this long surname. Lol!). Look out for this young lad, Sergio Aguero.
 


Group G:

What I term the Group of Death, Group G is comprised of Germany, Portugal, Ghana and the USA. Germany and Portugal are the favourites to come out of this group, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Ghana causes an upset (uhm…to Portugal). And as for USA….uhhh, thanks for Burger King guys, keep up the good work! The obvious player to look out for is Ballon d’Or winner, Cristiano Ronaldo. But I couldn’t resist the underdog either….so also keep your eye out for Ghana goalkeeper, Adam Kwarasey!
 



 
Group H:

Belgium have been labelled dark horses so much that the term doesn’t fit anymore. Comprised with an array of stars, the expectation is for them to cause upsets in the later stages of the tournament. But first, they need to get past Algeria, Korea Republic and Russia. (am I the only one who thinks of vodka when the word Russia pops up?). Anyway, check out Belgian midfielder, Moussa Dembele.
 
 
 
There you go.....I hope you enjoyed it! I may have missed some names (I kinda did this in a rush), so if you have suggestions, let me know and I will do a part 2. I might even do one for the guys....because footballers mostly date hot models! Enjoy the world cup!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment